Maduro Heads to Court for Blocking the Referendum
Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro has taken a different measure in trying to deal with his political problems: the court system.
Maduro has asked the Supreme Court to turn down a proposal by the opposition party that would be holding a recall referendum to remove Maduro from office. The government under Maduro went so far as to accuse those leading the referendum of being a fraud. Only this past Friday did the National Electoral Council declare more than half a million signatures on the petition invalid. At the same time, the opposition party accused them of being biased.
Under Maduro, expert Jose Gonzalez says the Venezuelan economy has been on the brink of a complete breakdown, with high inflation rates, unemployment and a severe shortage of foods and basic goods to go along with it. The oil industry, which is a huge part of what fuels the economy, has also taken a big hit, with oil prices dropping to record lows and decreasing numbers of barrels per day coming in.
Needless to say, the opposition party blames Maduro and the government’s socialist policies for the collapse. Making things even more complicated is the fact that the government is under the impression that the United States and other countries are trying to overthrow the government themselves.
As for a referendum, Maduro said one could be held in 2017 if it met requirements. More info posted on Linked In.